Deputy Chief Information Officer and Deputy Director of IT NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Pasadena, California
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL (https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/) has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: they inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
Founded in the 1930s, the JPL is currently owned by NASA and managed by the nearby California Institute of Technology (Caltech) for NASA. The laboratory's primary function is the construction and operation of planetary robotic spacecraft, though it also conducts Earth-orbit and astronomy missions. It is also responsible for operating NASA's Deep Space Network. Among the laboratory's major active projects are the Mars Science Laboratory mission (which includes the Curiosity rover), the Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity, the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, the Dawn mission to the dwarf planet Ceres and asteroid Vesta, the Juno spacecraft orbiting Jupiter, the NuSTAR X-ray telescope, SMAP Satellite for earth surface soil moisture and the Spitzer Space Telescope. It is also responsible for managing the JPL Small-Body Database and provides physical data and lists of publications for all known small Solar System bodies. The JPL's Space Flight Operations Facility and Twenty-Five-Foot Space Simulator are designated National Historic Landmarks.
With an unmatched history creating groundbreaking advances in science and technology, JPL has been in the space exploration business since the beginning. JPL resonates with people who are looking for ways to go further.
The Position: Deputy CIO and Deputy Director for IT
JPL’s Information Technology (IT) Directorate/Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) is responsible for the Lab-wide IT systems that support JPL’s business, engineering and management processes. The Director for Information Technology/Chief Information Officer (CIO) and Deputy Director for Information Technology/Deputy CIO fulfill this responsibility through the OCIO, reporting to the Lab Director/Deputy Director, and through coordination of an IT strategy and plan that provides a wide variety of IT services and capabilities.
In this key leadership role as the Deputy Director for Information Technology/Deputy CIO, you will be expected to:
- Lead the Directorate in partnership with the line of business Directors
- Work closely with the Directorate’s technical staff to ensure operations and products drive JPL’s strategy today and for the future
- Set the overall vision and strategy for the Directorate as it relates to staffing, investments, organizational structure and Institutional Information Technology
- Build relationships with key NASA and JPL stakeholders
- Provide oversight for significant IT initiatives and services that support both JPL and NASA and ensure effective implementation and coordination across multiple internal and external customers
- Facilitate a rapidly changing IT environment where quick decisions are the norm
- Manage the organization’s operating budget and ensure services align with expected performance
- Assist the CIO in managing the contracted IT services that meet the strategy and performance expectations of the Lab
- Foster an environment dedicated to sustaining, cultivating, and retaining a world-class talent pool of Information Technology professionals
- Represent the Information Technology Directorate/Office of the Chief Information Officer on Laboratory management committees
- Ensure JPL’s IT standards and infrastructure are positioned to be and remain on the cutting edge
Bachelor’s degree plus 15+ years of management experience including successful leadership of an IT organization of similar complexity at the senior management level
Experience at the IT Senior Leadership Level including:
- Strategic thinking – Assist in defining the direction the business will pursue, determine the key decisions to be made, develop and select among a range of plausible options and guide the allocation of resources and effort to accomplish desired objective
- A record of significant process/productivity improvements in organization served; performance/accountability orientation and the ability to overcome obstacles and strive for breakthroughs
- Inclusive management orientation/influencing skills with the experience that demonstrates the ability to effect change in a non-hierarchical environment
- Experience in developing and managing a highly skilled workforce
- Excellent communication, writing, and presentation skills
- Proven track record in developing collaborations and improving teamwork across a diverse set of technical teams leading to more efficient and innovative outcomes
- Experience interfacing with key customer and sponsor stakeholders
- Strong customer relationship skills
- Ability to incorporate industry best-practices into an organization
- Working understanding of Information Technology infrastructure and systems
- The selected candidate must be willing and able to obtain a security clearance
- Experience working in a scientific, engineering and business administration environment
WHY A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL SHOULD PURSUE THIS JOB
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s their focus at JPL. They ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. They build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
JPL has retained Diligent Partners with the exclusive management of this important search.
Director, Software Engineering O'Neil Digital Solutions Los Angeles, CA
O’Neil Digital Solutions (ODS) - The Coolest Company You’ve Never Heard Of
Los Angeles based ODS is a leader in providing the marketing communications and publishing needs of major corporations. With a large in-house programming staff, they deliver digital print and web-driven member communication solutions to the Healthcare, Financial, and direct mail markets. ODS has the largest installment of HP digital web presses in the world and are continuing to develop innovative digital finishing and inserting solutions to press the digital revolution forward. They are known for their quality focus and outstanding client service. They have a diverse workforce keeping the focus on their people, trust and teamwork, and they maintain a high degree of integrity while exceeding the expectations of their clients.
The Position: Director, Software Engineering
ODS is looking for an experienced software engineering director who is hands-on technically and fully knowledgeable in project management techniques, including the use of negotiation skills and influence to drive internal and external projects to completion in a timely and cost-effective manner. The successful candidate will demonstrate high-caliber communication and project reporting skills.
- Provide technical leadership, guidance, influence and mentoring for project teams as well as a route of escalation for project related risks and issues. The Director will drive project related communications to IT leadership, business leadership, and various project and program stakeholders to facilitate project definition, direction, and status, as well as partner with business leaders to achieve the goals of assigned projects.
- Execute and implement the technical solution using iterative, RUP, or Agile Project Management Methodology (PMM) for a variety of projects including, but not limited to, new application deployments (Commercial, Off-The-Shelf (COTS) and custom), process improvement, application and technical upgrades, feature/function enhancements and technical infrastructure enhancements. The Director will lead matrix-style projects teams including, but not limited to, technical resources, Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), vendor representatives, and Business Analysts to achieve the stated goals of assigned projects.
- Ensure the successful completion of assigned projects including all project related deliverables found within PMM including, but not limited to:
- Identify, request, coordinate, and manage project resources.
- Create, manage, and monitor Project resource assignments.
- Perform periodic project-level quality reviews:
- Ensure project schedules, risks, and issues are being maintained.
- Ensure resource assignments are clear, well understood, and up-to-date.
- Coordinate dependencies, critical path items, and resource allocations across projects.
- Ensure project budgets, including ETC’s are managed and reported.
- Ensure project, schedule, risks & issues, resource, vendor, etc. conflicts are addressed and/or escalated to key stakeholders.
- Engineering team’s liaison to coordinate with the Infrastructure, Applications, Data, Business End-User teams, as well as other IT groups, for communication efforts as well as project execution efforts.
- Determine the technical direction for the application solutions.
- Lead and coordinate the design, development, implementation support and optimization of desktop, web-based, and mobile real-time application systems to support critical business functions.
- Use object-oriented techniques and software engineering best practices including design review, code review, unit-testing, and re-factoring.
- Mentor and provide technical leadership in collaborative design, implementation and testing of multi-tier software applications, web services, and database systems.
- Successful technical leadership on multiple software development projects – on-time and on-budget.
- Effective management of project issues and risks.
- Minimum of 7-10 years Project Execution experience completing medium-sized and moderately complex projects in a complex environment.
- Has working knowledge of PMI process groups: Initiating, planning, executing, controlling and closing.
- 7-10 years of experience architecting & developing business critical and/or-web based eCommerce applications using .NET, SQL Server, Open Source, and/or Java/J2EE Frameworks.
- Experience in object-oriented analysis & design, with advanced understanding of enterprise design patterns, frameworks, and service-oriented architecture.
- Expertise creating detailed application design using UML, Process Flows, Sequence Diagrams, and pseudo-code level details.
- Must have hands-on development experience in the past (previously a developer).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written).
- Experience in leading high performance, results-oriented teams with a sense of urgency and a commitment to quality.
- Decisiveness: Makes timely and effective decisions.
- Sends the right messages and information to appropriate audiences verbally and in writing; keeps people informed; adapts communication style to the needs of the audience in order to articulate the rationale and value of a position and ensure understanding.
- Actively gathers appropriate level of participation and input to decision-making, and fosters same within team. Persuades others to see/recognize new perspectives to reach best outcomes by utilizing buy-in, persuasion and relationship building.
- Assembles and effectively leads direct reports and/or partnership teams. Exceptional facilitator of teamwork and decision-making in virtual and in-person settings.
- A strong mentor who pays personal attention to the growth and development of others, provides constructive feedback, and creates development opportunities.
- Consulting experience is a strongly desired.
- Undergraduate degree in relevant area (e.g. IT, Computer Science, Finance, Healthcare) is required.
ODS offers a competitive compensation package including a 401(k) savings plan, medical/dental/life insurance coverage, flexible spending and dependent care plan, paid sick, vacation, holidays, and profit-sharing benefits.
WHY A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL SHOULD PURSUE THIS JOB
This is an ideal role for a Senior Manager who has led complex software development projects for Big 4 or SI consulting firms, particularly if family or quality of life priorities cry for shifting onto a corporate IT career track. ODS projects are unique and fascinating, leverage digital technologies and will allow you an opportunity to grow and shape your resources into an efficient, cohesive, high performing team.
As a company, ODS transforms highly complex data into rich, customer-centric communications, and it is doing extraordinarily well in this market segment. Companies in healthcare, financial, and other major industries rely on ODS for high-volume, high-mix communications that are accurate, timely, and secure. ODS’s customer-centric applications and services include electronic document delivery, web applications, high-speed digital printing (color and black & white), automated composition, offset printing, warehousing, and fulfillment services. ODS is a solution-based company that offers customers forward thinking solutions to design, create, print, and distribute their client communications. Collectively, ODS’s team of industry experts has over 200 years’ worth of experience and expertise in publishing services and enjoy a global reputation for excellence and innovation. Their broad knowledge base enables it to build and manage innovative solutions for a diverse customer base. They infuse each project with experience and technology tailored to meet client requirements.
O’Neil Digital Solutions has retained Diligent Partners with the exclusive management of this important search.
Senior Vice President, Enterprise Salesforce Platform
City National Bank
Los Angeles, California
City National Bank's mission is to provide the ultimate banking experience for successful entrepreneurs and professionals through an uncommon dedication to extraordinary service, proactive advice and total financial solutions. City National started with a basic premise: Business is personal.
City National Bank is backed by $48.7 billion in total assets, and provides banking, investment, and trust services through 72 offices, including 19 full-service regional centers, in Southern California, the San Francisco Bay Area, Nevada, New York City, Nashville, Atlanta, Minneapolis, and Washington, D.C. The company and its investment affiliates today manage or administer $64.9 billion in client investment assets. City National provides entrepreneurs, professionals, their businesses, and their families with complete financial solutions. Highly personalized client relationships, combined with a full range of sophisticated financial products—commercial lending, private banking, and wealth management capabilities—plus the best talent in the financial industry distinguish City National from its competition. City National provides a premier banking and financial experience through a dedication to extraordinary service, proactive advice, and complete financial solutions. As of January 31, 2018, the Company had 4,500 colleagues. For more information about City National, visit cnb.com. On November 2, 2015, City National merged with Royal Bank of Canada. For more information about RBC, please see rbc.com.
The Enterprise Salesforce Manager plays a leading role in defining the vision, roadmap, and execution of a “Digitally-Enabled” relationship bank. To achieve our growth and client-engagement objectives, this leader works closely with key stakeholders groups to build out the vision, roadmap, deployment, and support capabilities across Sales, Service, Marketing, and Analytics. They proactively advocate for to the needs of prospects, clients, and colleagues. They articulate the “art of what’s possible” through external benchmarks, competitive insight, and industry studies to introduce new ideas to drive success.
The Position: SVP – Manager, Enterprise Salesforce Platform
The SVP – Manager, Enterprise Salesforce Platform works with his/her IT Department counterpart (SVP, CRM Technology) and others to lead a team of internal and external resources on a mission-critical implementation of Salesforce across the enterprise.
In addition to the partnership with IT, this position requires significant use of initiative and independent judgment in managing the direction and roadmap initiatives, collaborating with other stakeholders from City National's business units and CRM program area, as well as external consultants, third-party vendors, and Salesforce.
- Responsible for the continued business success, governance, roadmap, and adoption of the overall enterprise-wide deployment of Salesforce and its surrounding ecosystem at City National Bank.
- Works closely with the individual lines of business, functional owners, and key stakeholders to ensure consistency in the execution of the broader vision.
- Acts as a change agent by introducing best practices for sales, service, and marketing capabilities; helps educate the organization on pathway forward.
- Maintains strong relationships with executive stakeholders to align LOB needs balanced with Enterprise objectives.
- Keeps an eye on transformational capabilities for the ecosystem that can accelerate business objectives, including data, analytics, AI/ML capabilities, etc.
- Works with partners to define and execute upon the broader roadmap to build a digitally-enabled relationship Bank.
- Sponsorship and ownership of the Salesforce.com platform, including active and visible advocacy across user groups.
- Manages the business-oriented portion of the Center of Excellence, acting as an advocate of both client and colleague needs.
- Liaise with executives to understand business priorities and validate roadmap.
- Work with key stakeholders, including divisional leaders, the sales strategy council, digital channels, B&IS and BATS to codify business imperatives into a 1/3/5-year implementation vision and roadmap.
- Acts as the business owner of the platform, responsible constructing, validating, and managing the vision, roadmap, resources, engagement model, and adoption. Understands the sequential order in which capabilities should be developed to build a strong foundation before pursuing incremental benefits.
- Works with executive stakeholders to understand business priorities and challenges; helps suggest and identify improvements to address needs.
- Manages the business team, consisting of the Product Owner, Adoption and Change Management, and User Engagement through an Agile model.
- Helps craft out the business case and resourcing needs to further expanded capabilities, including but not limited to agile scrum teams, effectiveness/capabilities functions, metrics and analytics, etc.
- Close partnership with the Technology owners to validate shared roadmap.
- Fosters a sense of partnership with leadership and representatives from Lines of Business, staff, and related functions. Partners with peers in Technology and Digital to build out an aligned roadmap for the organization.
- Works closely with the broader internal and external innovative communities to understand relevant solutions and capabilities to drive business success.
- Builds out metrics to track the business performance and operational achievements in the Center of Excellence.
- Assisting the development of business cases.
- Communicates project status and milestone completion to Executive Management, Business Leaders and IT.
- Defines the change management / user adoption strategy and metrics.
- Manages potential project roadblocks, risks, and issues, and ensuring timely and effective resolution.
- Manage Salesforce program to the overall budget, schedule, scope of projects, and compliance with City National Bank policies and practices.
- Supports and reinforces targeted behaviors that contribute to goals and colleagues understanding of CNB’s vision for Salesforce.
- Supporting team through change while minimizing disruption and keeping focus on productivity and morale.
- Provides focus and clarity in establishing individual goals, driving performance management, supporting career development and rewarding strong performance.
- Executing Performance Management processes, including ensuring development plans and performance reviews are in place.
- Works to develop competencies and skillsets to keep up-to-date with agile tools and processes (i.e., provide training).
- Supporting senior management in the development of workforce skill sets in order to meet transformation needs and achieve strategic goals.
- Develops program resourcing strategy and plans with the teams.
- Designs and executes continuous improvement of processes to nurture team productivity.
- Holds team members accountable.
- Completes all required training.
- Complies fully with all Bank policies and procedures, as well as all regulatory requirements.
- Bachelor degree required, MBA or relevant graduate degree preferred.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience working in a financial services organization with emphasis in Wealth Management, Private or Commercial Banking.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience with CRM applications.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience managing large scale projects.
Abilities, Job Skills and Knowledge
- Must have 5-7 years of experience in a managerial role supervising a team.
- Experience with Salesforce.com required.
- Must have very strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Must be highly motivated and have experience running projects with transformational potential.
- Ability to influence and educate leadership, peers, and directs on best practices in building out a digitally-enabled relationship-driven organization.
- Must be able to effectively solve problems while considering all stakeholders.
- Comprehensive and holistic thinker who can understand end-to-end processes and projects alike.
- Ability to effectively manage a budget.
- Deep experience working cross-functionally with leadership to meet the needs of clients, colleagues, leadership, and expanded stakeholders (regulatory needs, etc.).
The successful candidate will have the following personal characteristics:
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable being held accountable for achieving results
- Has the desire, patience, and persistence necessary to undertake new challenges and to develop and lead; balances these characteristics and actions with sound judgment
- Great integrity and high ethical standards
- Analytical and intuitive
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with widely diverse groups
In addition, she/he will exhibit those qualities that are consistent with City National Bank’s “P.R.I.D.E.” statement as follows:
- Ability to work together as a team, investing in the personal development of team members, and recognizing and celebrating the team’s success
- Integrity in valuing diversity, communicating openly, and maintaining high professional and ethical standards
- Dedication to achieving profitability and planned goals, delivering quality service and expertise, and intelligently managing risk
- Entrepreneurial spirit, acting with initiative and tenacity, continually seeking out new business, pursuing better, more innovative ways of doing business, and delivering with excellence
WHY A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL SHOULD PURSUE THIS JOB
This is an extraordinarily exciting time to be part of City National Bank. Long known as the largest commercial bank headquartered in Los Angeles, and respected for its superior treatment of its clients, the 2015 merger with RBC presented an opportunity for the Salesforce team to take its high performance to the next level, and the team has made quite a bit of progress since that time. With RBC’s continued investment, City National’s leadership team has an opportunity to leverage technology solutions more often associated with banks many times the size of City National, and to be a beachhead as RBC extends its reach into the U.S. market.
City National Bank has entrusted Diligent Partners with the exclusive management of this important search.